Wednesday 15 May 2013

Why an estimate cannot be given over the phone ;)

I am often called and have emails on how much something would cost. Although for a straightforward alteration like an ordinary hem shortening or a sleeve shortening a rough estimate can be give out.

 For bespoke its next to impossible ( as a client could be an easy shape or a very difficult shape). Furthermore dresses could be difficult cuts or easy cuts, so for bespoke I often arrange a meeting first as I have to make the dress pattern from scratch.

 The bulk of work I am given, I have found, I cannot give an estimate unless I have seen the item or discussed the pattern with a client.

Every item is made to a different standard of finishing so the cost of every alterations and bespoke(made to measure)  varies considerably.

Just in the case of alterations: I have an example for why I don't give an estimate: Over the phone this would have been just a few inches off the hem and taking in along the side seams and bustling up the train at the back....

Here is the Atlanta bridal dress that needed shortening and grading all along to two sizes down .
 Shortening it required; Unpicking the lace which is mounted with the invisible thread on both sides. It also had three further layers of net and tule underneath as well as lining to be shorten to the right length.
To shorten had to unpick along cut line on both sides .
 The client had lost a lot of weight so all the amount between the red thread marks had to be taken out.
The amount is marked precisely with red or black thread


 Here is the finished result  after the alteration.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your comments ,Thank you